12 March 2010

Before & After: Re-Covered Dining Room Chairs


I have this great table & chairs set. They belonged to my grandma, then my parents, and now me. They are painted an olive green, which I love. I suppose some day I could strip them or paint them a different color, but for now I love exactly how they are.

Except for the seats. Gross.


They are ancient, cracking vinyl. And they are really hard. No cushion for the tush.


So I've actually had these chairs for several years and never done anything with them, even knowing how EASY it is to change them. Lazy.

So I was at our local little thrift store the other day and found this fabric:


It was only $2 for 1 3/4 yards, more than enough. I'm not sure how it will wear over the years as seat cushion fabric, but seriously, does it matter? They are so easy to recover that I can replace them when I want.

Bad blogger, I didn't take during photos. But just so you know, I unscrewed the seats from the chairs, set them on the floor over the fabric and cut the fabric with a few inches extra all the way around. I also got a 4-pack of 1-inch foam & cut those the same shape as the seats. I made a sandwich - fabric, foam & seat - then stapled the fabric to the back, stretching as I went. Then I screwed the seats back on and...


New chairs!


Are they perfect? No.


But are they better? Yes. Much better. And much more comfortable.


And just to keep it even more real, that little coaster on the floor in the above picture is there to mark a spot on the floor where a wood splinter needs glued down.

We're pretty casual here.

Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

Janet said...

Great job, Erin! They look so much better and will be a whole lot more comfy than they were when we had them. Mom

Mary Lemon said...

You're so stinkin creative!!! I got some good ideas last week. Love the muslim "drapes". I'm going to try that for staging. It was great seeing how far your house has come since the day I saw it. It smells MUCH better too!

Back At Ya Babe said...

Love the color and the chairs. They look fantastic.

Back At Ya Babe said...

Erin, what is your email address? Here's mine, steele.karla@yahoo.com
I need to ask a favor!

iram said...

simply great

Unknown said...

I like your choice of fabric. The look comfy and fresh now.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

They turned out great! You should be very proud of your work. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Anna said...

the neutral fabric is perfect for those chairs

Khara Plicanic said...

That is awesome! you go you crafty girl powerhourse! :)

Compact Dining Table And Chairs said...

I like your choice of fabric. thanks for sharing with us.